When the time comes to choose where to host your website you’re going to have a ton of options at your disposal. Beyond deciding which company to host with, you’ll also have to decide what kind of hosting package suits you best.
Shared hosting is one of the most popular hosting options for those who are building out their first websites. But, what is shared hosting, and does it make sense for your website?
Below we dive into what shared hosting is, and what kind of person could benefit from a shared hosting package.
Let’s jump in!
What is Shared Hosting?
Compared to other types of web hosting services, shared hosting has the most affordable price. At Kalpraj Solutions, you can get shared hosting services starting from USD $1.99 per month.
This type of web hosting is usually used by beginners and for websites that do not require large bandwidth, RAM and storage capacity. Users are also not required to have advanced technical knowledge because server management is carried out by the service provider. That’s the advantage of shared hosting.
However, limited server resources make this type of web hosting unable to facilitate websites with a lot of data and high traffic.
In addition, shared hosting users share servers with one another. Plus, one user can have more than one website.
Therefore, the performance of your website can be affected by activity and problems with fellow server users.
Advantages of Shared Hosting
- It’s by far the cheapest hosting option you’re going to have available. The usual price for this style of hosting will range from $1.99-$9.99.
- Most hosting companies have multiple levels of hosting available, so you can upgrade your hosting package with time. This makes shared hosting a great place to start.
- Shared hosting usually comes equipped with a built-in cPanel, which makes it easy to manage your site.
- No technical maintenance needs to be done on your end to the server, as this is usually included in part of your hosting package.
Put simply, shared hosting can be a great option for website owners with a small budget, or those just getting started online. You can always upgrade to another hosting package with time, as your budget allows, so you’re not stuck with this level of hosting forever.
The main advantage of shared hosting at Kalpraj Solutions is that its managed by our staff with free integration and backups.
Disadvantages of Shared Hosting
Shared hosting sounds pretty good: it’s affordable, has solid uptime, and is easy to manage. But, it does come with certain drawbacks.
- The main disadvantage is the shared IP with thousands of websites.
- The load time can be a lot slower than VPS and dedicated servers (VDS).
- The server can become overburdened by other sites that are sharing the server.
- As your site begins to receive higher levels of traffic you’ll begin to notice that your site might begin to perform much worse.
- You never quite know who your neighbors are. Although rare, other sites on the server can pose a risk to your site.
- There’s a lack of customization options to truly get the highest level of performance from your website.
For most people just getting started online the advantages of shared hosting will greatly outweigh the disadvantages, especially if you’re trying to get a site up and running as quickly as possible and have little tech skills. It’s also important to note that a responsible web host will let you know when your traffic hits a level that it’s time to upgrade, and will monitor and shut down any sites that pose a risk to the others on the server.